Tuesday 13 August 2013

Delicious ginger biscuits

For my annual jolly to the Festival of Quilts, I made me and my friend some delicious ginger biscuits to snack on - the joys of the NEC food halls aren't much to write home about (or indeed write about in a blog!). These biscuits really look the part - better than you could buy in a shop, and with that wonderful home-made wonkiness that gives them their charm.



They're really easy to make, and make a good batch - about 26 - 30 depending on how big or small you go. I like to go a little small, so I get more out of them - quality and quantity.

115g butter
85g golden syrup
350g self-raising flour
1 and a half tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp bicarb
200g caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 lumps of stem ginger, chopped

Preheat the oven to 170C (150C fan) and prepare three baking trays.
Melt the butter and golden syrup over a low heat, then allow to cool until almost cold.
Sift the flour, bicarb, ground ginger, and sugar into a bowl.
Pour the butter and syrup mixture into the bowl, briefly stir, then add the egg, and the chopped ginger. Stir well until it all comes together - you might need to get your hands in to make sure it's a good dough.
Roll into golf ball sized balls and place on the baking trays, spaced out well.
Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes.

It is an effort not to eat several of these at once. They are great on the day of baking, as they are crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. The day after, if you haven't placed them in an airtight box (oops, I didn't), they might be a little less crunchy - but still delicious.

This is my favourite ginger biscuit recipe I think. I haven't made them in a while, mainly because they are just too moreish. I can't stop at one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments, hints, tips, and anything else!